I cannot find a translation of the word (or phrase) ついクセ in the following sentence.

引越してきてからも ついクセで 東京のぶんの天気予報まで見てしまいます

My best guess would be that つい comes from 付く and クセ is 癖 so that the word could mean "acquired bad habit".

Also, I am not entirely sure what the も and the まで are doing in this sentence.

My attempt at a translation would be the following:

After I moved here, I got into the bad habit of looking at the weather forecast for the region around Tokyo.

Is this somewhat close?

つい and クセ are two words.

• つい is an adverb, meaning "against one's better judgement" or "unintentional" (although these are very wordy in comparison with the original Japanese)

• クセ is indeed 癖 "(bad) habit" and クセで means "out of habit"

The two adverbs are independent. (You could delete either one, or both, from the sentence and still have a grammatical sentence.)

引越してきてからも ついクセで 東京のぶんの天気予報まで見てしまいます
After moving here, out of habit I still end up watching even the weather forecast for Tokyo.

• も works like "even" here, since he is watching Tokyo's weather forecast even though he lives somewhere else. It corresponds

• まで is used for emphasis ("up to and including")

The translation still reads like a bumpy ride, but I tried to stick to a literal translation as much as possible.

What does ぶん do in this sentence? – Dav7n Jan 16 '17 at 11:48
    @Dav7n 分【ぶん】 means "part". 東京のぶんの天気予報 means the part of the weather forecast that is about Tokyo. – Earthliŋ Jan 16 '17 at 12:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.