My understanding of ありませんと is that it is an abbreviated form of ありませんと(だめ/いけない/ならない), but the formal ません throws me off. I was under the impression that the formal part should be always the last one, so it should be ないと(だめです/いけません/なりません). Is it possible that abbreviation moves the formality before と? Are the following interpretations possible?

... must be

... must have something

You will get a better answer (and do so more quickly) if you told us in what context you found ありませんと. – l'électeur Jan 15 '17 at 4:15
  • I heard it over the radio at the end of the sentence. Unfortunately I did not catch the beginning. Can it be viewed as a general formula: statement + ありませんと? – user1602 Jan 15 '17 at 6:06

It would help to know the context, and I'm not confident with this answer, but here goes. You may know that ~ないと, ~なくては(なくちゃ), and ~なければ(なきゃ)are often used as shorthand for ~ないとだめ et cetera. In ありませんと, ~ませんと basically acts as shorthand for ~ないとだめです - being explicitly polite while still cutting off the ending.

Also, you really should know this, but the negative of ある is simply ない, not あらない or anything.

• The argument about ない vs. ならない is valid only in the context of 標準語 (standard Japanese) – user1602 Jan 16 '17 at 0:16
    @BouzuHarinezumi ^ では、「あらない」は、どの地域で使われる方言ですか? – Chocolate Jan 16 '17 at 15:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.