I'm writing something to an old dorm manager I had - I want to ask if he's still taking in students from a particular school (as dorm residents). In English, I'd ask "Are you still taking in X school's students?" How would I translate the "taking in" part of the sentence in Japanese?

1 Answer 1


Most commonly, we would use:

「受{う}け入{い}れる」、「引{ひ}き受ける」、「部屋{へや}を貸{か}す」, etc.

You could say:

「まだ(or 現在{げんざい}も)[school name] の学生{がくせい} + + 受け入れておられますか。」

「今{いま}でも、[school name] の学生 + + 部屋を貸されていますか。」

, etc.

I put those in fairly polite forms to be on the safe side. I did not use the super-polite forms, thinking that you would have difficulty saying the other things correctly on the same super-polite level.

  • Interesting, I didn't think the phrasing would translate that directly from English. Thank you!
    – Steffan
    Jan 13, 2017 at 12:52

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .