I thought that "suki" was a verb which meant "to like". It is hard to me to make sense why it seems to be always used with "desu".

Now in a webpage I read that suki is an adjective, which means something like "liked" like some sort of passive voice I guess? That's why it uses the verb desu almost always I supposed. But I also see in another webpage that suki is a verb with all its conjugations.

The question is, is it suki an adjective, a verb, or both, and if it's also a verb, when it's used like a verb with its respective conjugations and without desu? (Assuming it can be used without desu.)

Generally speaking, the more romaji a website uses, the more misinformation it gives. – l'électeur Jan 13 '17 at 12:09
    Even though 好き is an adjective, it doesn't mean it corresponds with English adjectives like "likable" etc. Grammatical error over 好き often stems from believing 好き is "likable". – user4092 Jan 13 '17 at 19:16
  • @torazaburo you know, after this topic and before your comment I was exactly thinking about that, if the notion of nouns, verbs and adjectives are the same in english and japanese. At least I found that in my native language (spanish) we also use verbs as nouns and as some sort of adjectives, something I didnt realize before. May be they should be called by their original japanese names Keiyōshi, Meishi which might have different connotations – Pablo Jan 14 '17 at 5:57
  • @torazaburo The things you're typing should really be posted as an answer rather than as comments. – snailcar Jan 14 '17 at 18:14
  • in english can't you just use any adjective that way? and they dont have any special noun characteristic because of that? it's beautiful, strong, tall, etc. it's a dog, cat, house, etc. when in other japanese adjectives you can't say (adjective) da ? – Pablo Jan 14 '17 at 18:25

好き suki is a difficult word.

What is clear is that it derives from the verb 好く suku, which is still in use (most often in the passive voice: 好かれる "to be liked").

However, like the 連用形 ren'yōkei "masu-stem" of so many other verbs, it took on a life of its own, primarily as what is quite naturally analyzed as 形容動詞 keiyōdōshi "na-adjective".

Hence we have

1. 〇〇が好きです
    〇〇 ga suki desu
    cf. 〇〇がきれいです

2. 好き〇〇
    suki na 〇〇
    cf. きれい〇〇

A literal translation might be "X is likeable/nice", which equates to "I like X".

Note that 嫌い kirai (from 嫌う kirau, also often seen in the passive 嫌われる) works almost exactly the same.

• 「ペキフルーツが好きじゃない」 「ペキフルーツが嫌いです」 「嫌いなペキフルーツ」 – Geyslan G. Bem Jul 10 at 19:23

好き is indeed tricky and I was also tricked when I was learning to use this word. 好き is a na-adjective 形容動詞. To be abstract, it means the "quality of being liked", which is different from "likable" (好かれる or 好ましい). If this confuses you, there are two rules of thumb:

• 好きだ/好きです is the closest equivalent to the English verb "like". e.g. モーニング娘。のことが好きです means "(I) like Morning Musume", NOT "Morning Musume is likable".
  • 好きな〇〇 means "the liked 〇〇". e.g. 好きな人 means "the person (someone) likes".

Once you understand these two rules, use 好き as you would any na-adjective. e.g., "liked" is 好きだった/好きでした, and "don't like" is 好きじゃない.

(and I do like Morning Musume)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.