I want to understand the usage for ’V+見込みです’。I want to say something is expected to get delayed, so which is better 「~が遅れる見込みです」or 「~が遅れてしまう見込みです」.I have added しまうfor an expression of disappointment, is it incorrect in this context?

「Verb in て-Form + しまう + 見込{みこ}みです」

While I would not consider this expression incorrect per se, I know for certain that it would be far less common than:

「Verb in Dictionary Form + 見込{みこ}みです」 used in conjunction with a phrase expressing disappointment.

You could say, for instance:

「残念{ざんねん}ですが、電車{でんしゃ}が遅{おく}れる見込みです。」 or

「電車が遅れる見込みだと聞{き}いて残念です。」

If you must, however, use 「しまう」 for some reason and still want to sound perfectly natural, you could use it by changing 「見込みです」 to 「可能性{かのうせい}があります」. I know this might not be what you wanted to know, but for future reference, I added it.

「電車が遅れてしまう可能性があります。」

~が遅れる見込みです is more natural than ~が遅れてしまう見込みです but ~が遅れる見込みです doesn't imply speaker's disappointment.

I feel ~が遅れてしまう見込みです is a bit unnatural. I feel 見込み means objective expectation, so to add someone's emotion to it may not be appropriate.

If you want to add your disappointment to it, ~が遅れてしまうみたいです(ようです) would be natural.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.