I've been wanting to read 神様の御用人 but I can't figure out what 御用人 means. Some translations translate it to "friend" but I think there's a deeper meaning to it?

御用人 is 御用+人, 御用 meaning "at the service of" and 人 meaning person. It means that some character(s) are dedicated servants of some god(s).

| improve this answer | |
    @TheAvianLord How is this the best answer? – l'électeur Jan 14 '17 at 5:09

I don't think the meaning is that deep. 御 is just an honorific, and 用人 is a sort of an old word meaning retainer, servant or manager. In the context of the story I think it refers to the main character having that as a job or something, probably meaning God's servant, so I don't think 'friend' is that close of a translation.

EDIT: Avery's answer is correct, not mine

| improve this answer | |
    Avery's answer is correct, not mine <- What makes you think so? You looked up [用人]{ようにん} in a dictionary, right? dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/226710/meaning/m0u – Chocolate Jan 12 '17 at 9:26
  • i did, but I'm not sure the dictionary definition applies in this case because I cross-referenced the wikipedia page for the series he is talking about and the main character's job is closer to what Avery said – frei Jan 13 '17 at 1:11
    Heh.. but the dictionary clearly states that 御用人 is the honorific form of 用人, you see kotobank.jp/word/… Also Wiki says: "用人(ようにん)は、江戸時代の武家の職制のひとつで、主君の用向きを家中に伝達して、庶務を司ることを主たる役目とし、有能な者から選ばれることが多かった。 御用人(ごようにん)とも。 " ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%94%A8%E4%BA%BA – Chocolate Jan 13 '17 at 15:50
  • That's probably not how the word was constructed, @Schokolade , based on how 御用 is used in modern Japanese. I do not know whether the series takes place in Edo, I didn't google it – Avery Jan 13 '17 at 23:11
    I think it might be a coined word and the anime/novel is set in modern times so I don't know if they would use an Edo-era word – frei Jan 19 '17 at 6:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.