For example, in my grammar textbook, the sentence:

昨日は3時から5時まで友達とテニスをした

Is translated as "Yesterday, I played tennis with my friend from 3 till 5." Which implies that the speaker was playing from 3 up to, but not beyond 5 (so for 2 hours).

In the notes section however, it says that まで includes the time that it is preceded by:

来週の月曜日まで休みます

means "I will be absent until next Tuesday", i.e., in this case まで includes Monday (月曜日).

Which is correct?

I disagree with your interpretation of the English. "I played tennis from 3 until 5" does not mean you didn't play beyond 5, though that's the most likely scenario. Most people are not very exact in their meaning. Perhaps you played until 5:10, but 5 is just a more convenient end point. Perhaps you don't really know how late you played, you just know for sure that you played until 5:00. Sure, you could say that in these cases there are better ways to say what you want; nevertheless, there are plenty of English speakers who lack the specificity you suggest these phrases carry.
    – A.Ellett
    Jan 12 '17 at 3:35
  • That is actually what I wanted to say.....
    – user7644
    Jan 12 '17 at 12:46
    Remember that in 5時まで, 5時 is a point in time but in 月曜日まで, 月曜日 is a span of time. So including 月曜日 means including everything up to the end of that span.
    – ekimyedips
    Jan 12 '17 at 17:19

まで includes the time which a speaker refers to, so 来週の月曜日まで休みます means "I will be absent until next Monday" and it includes next Monday.

As to 3時から5時まで, if you can think it means "include 5:00", it isn't conflicting, is it?

Speaking based on my experience or ordinary life, I personally think even if the time is, for example, 5:03, it would, could, may be O.K. Instead or if you use "頃{ころ}まで", then it expands a little bit, I think, around up to 5:15.

In This question, in Japanese, the "answerer" says, even 5 milliseconds are not allowed. This question is very good since I have never give my thought to but at the same time give me a nice headache :)...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.