I want to say something like "After thinking about it, I decided not to take the class."

Would 考えてから、授業を取らないと決めました。be an accurate translation? Or is there a better one?

• Beware of this kind of translation: maybe the Japanese, in that situation, would not think to say that, but maybe something else, due to culture/societal norms... That's where the "rubber hits the road" when it comes to speaking/writing Japanese in my experience :-) – Frank Jan 9 '17 at 2:48

After thinking about it, I decided not to take the class.

The most concise and natural way to say it in Japanese IMO is:

やっぱり、その授業は取らないことにしました。

The key point is that やっぱり used with verbs meaning want/wish/decide etc., will become "on second thoughts". This definition is strangely missing from J-J dictionaries I've tried, but widely used in reality.

If you やっぱり want a more literal translation to your English, how about:

考えた結果、その授業は取らないことにしました。
考えた結果、その授業は取らないことに決めました。

~と決めました would sound like you pledged to yourself never to break. It's not that serious situation, I guess. Also, 考えてから would be more like saying "I thought about it, and then —" in English.

"After thinking about it, I decided not to take the class." 「(色々)考えたのですが、その授業は取らないことに決めました。」There is no English word relevant to 「色々(in many ways)」 but in this situation I guess you'd like to express that you didn't decide instantly but you made well-considered decision or you don't intended to deny the value of the calss but just your circumstances have you to decide it.

Literary style: 「色々考えた末、その授業は取らないことに決めました。」

「考えてから、・・・」is a little bit unnatural but acceptable (Listener can fairly follow you).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.