I learnt from this answer that 担当さん is a common Japanese expression to address someone working with/for you. Does the presence of My and add a more specific meaning? The context is a letter from a mangaka to her fans:

My担当氏とお誕生日が近いという事で、2人でバースデイパーティーを開きました✨

Considering they are having a party alone and that she later says she received a heart-shaped cake as a present, it could be his boyfriend, but I don't think that's the meaning of My担当氏. Since the letter was handwritten, here's the original to check if I read the characters right. Thank you for your help!

氏 is generally more formal (and thus less friendly) than さん, but in this case I don't feel she chose 氏 to show her respect or psychological distance. 氏 is just another common name suffix in this situation. This may or may not be related, but stereotyped hardcore otaku address everyone using 氏 and it actually is a friendly yet respectful suffix like くん/さん to them.

The use of My is hard to explain since it's not standard nor common at all. Maybe she just wanted to decorate 担当さん with My to make it a bit more eccentric, cute, or whatever. It does not alter the basic meaning of the sentence.

• So, without more context it is not possible to know who My担当氏 refers to (her boss, a colleague, etc.), right? – Marco Jan 7 '17 at 7:28
    Ah, when a manga-ka calls someone 担当, It's almost certainly a corresponding editorial staff at the publisher. Manga-ka usually work at their home, and 担当者 collect and check manuscripts, and often even give advices to them. – naruto Jan 7 '17 at 7:41
    A typical 担当者 is this. A 担当者 is assigned to each manga-ka and they usually work as a pair thereafter. They usually call each other with their names, but 担当者's names are often hidden in books. – naruto Jan 7 '17 at 7:50
  • Oh, so it's an editor in this case! Thank you for the information! – Marco Jan 7 '17 at 20:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.