The younger sister is holding on to the climbing frame, trapped by a wild dog. The older sister is rushing to the rescue:

「お姉ちゃん、来ちゃダメだよ、あぶないよぉ」
Sister, don't come over here. It's dangerous.
私の妹なのよっ、はなしてっ」
You're my little sister, ???

I assume this はなして is from 放す = to release/to let go/to set free. I'm not familiar with the usage of this verb and I was a bit puzzled by the verb ending. I assume the meaning is "I will set you free (rescue you)" and that in ends in て because the sentence is unfinished. Would I be correct that the full sentence is something like 放してもらって下さい?

But I also thought that it might be an instruction to "let go (release grip)" of the climbing frame.

Aside from the fact that letting go of the frame would seem like a poor idea, are both of these interpretations possible? In a situation of panic is this completely unambiguous?

A guess: She's shouting at the dog? – Aeon Akechi Jan 4 '17 at 15:30
  • @Nothingatall I hadn't thought of that. If I change "You're" to "That's" then that makes a lot of sense. I wonder if that's the only valid interpretation though? – user3856370 Jan 4 '17 at 15:41
    ^ 引きとめる人に対して、「She's my sister, so let me go (to help her)」って言ってるんじゃないですかね・・・もうちょっと文脈欲しいですね、その場面の絵とか・・・ – Chocolate Jan 4 '17 at 15:42
  • @chocolate I thought about "you're my sister. Let me help you", but then I got confused with causative form and how I would extend はなして to have that meaning. I guess with your translation I don't need to worry about that. It's a simple 'release me' command. – user3856370 Jan 4 '17 at 15:49

I think the elder sister is yelling this either to the dog:

私の妹なのよっ、(妹を)はなしてっ
That is my sister! Release her!

Or to someone else who is trying to stop her from helping her sister:

私の妹なのよっ、(私を)はなしてっ
That is my sister! Release me!

• When I read further the second option seems quite convincing. I'd never have thought of it myself though. I was trapped by thinking You're my sister. I assume my own suggestions are not valid at all then? – user3856370 Jan 4 '17 at 16:00
  • @user3856370 There is no point in saying "You are my sister!" here :) – naruto Jan 4 '17 at 16:05
  • There is certainly no point. But, it would still be a perfectly natural thing to say in English. "You're my sister (so) I want to help you". Maybe the Japanese are just more economical with words. – user3856370 Jan 4 '17 at 16:12
    @user3856370 Using so-called "explanatory の" means she's actually trying to convince someone with that fact, so "I wanna/will help you" cannot follow it naturally. But she could have said something like 「私の妹なのよ、自分でなんとかしなさいっ」 to her younger sister :) – naruto Jan 4 '17 at 16:21
  • @user3856370 If it was used like that, it would more likely be 「あなたは私の妹なのよ」 so that the "you're" is being stressed. – Jimmy Jan 4 '17 at 18:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.