Take this sentence, for example: "日本語がドイツ語より面白いです" Up until now I've never seen より without ほう (still quite a beginner), so I'm wandering if "日本語のほうがドイツ語より面白いです" is different in any way (maybe it explains it as a choice between German and Japanese)?

Next: "車で行くほうがバスで行くより安い" Could I somehow say this without ほう? Or do I always use ほう? It is confusing because "俺は旅行するよりうちにいたい" does not use ほう after the verb.

As you can see, I'm a little confused as to when I do/do not use ほう, and would appreciate your help.

• If I find 日本語がドイツ語より面白い in Lang-8, I'd correct it into 日本語のほうがドイツ語より面白い unless it's an answer to "what language is more interesting than German" instead of "which is...". – user4092 Jan 3 '17 at 11:20

「日本語がドイツ語より面白いです」and「日本語のほうがドイツ語より面白いです」 is the same meaning, but in this second instance I would say that you are slightly emphasizing the fact that "Japanese is more interesting".

You certainly could say this 「車で行く方{ほう}がバスで行くより安い」without the 「方{ほう}」.

「安いのはバスより車。」"It is cheaper to go by car than bus."

As for your other example,

「俺は旅行するよりうちにいたい。」"

You could word it like this.

「俺は旅行するよりも家{うち}に居た方{ほう}がいい。」"I would rather be at home than go on holiday."

I would say it is gets things across much more clearly when using 「方{ほう}」as it is easier to use it when comparing. But, as long as you are getting the meaning across, you could use it or leave it out as you please.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.