I was reading a joke:

[長寿村]{ちょうじゅむら}

[旅人]{たびびと}:この[村]{むら}は[世界一]{せかいいち}の[長生]{ながい}きの村だって?

[村人]{むらびと}:はい、[未]{いま}だに[死]{し}んだ[人]{ひと}がおりません。

旅人:じゃ、あの[葬儀]{そうぎ}の[列]{れつ}はなんだ?

村人:はい、[葬儀屋]{そうぎや}が[自殺]{じさつ}をしたんです。

I understand most of the joke except the end of the second line:

死んだ人がおりません。

I see that おりません is used here and I don't understand why it is here. I checked the dictionary on my Mac for the word おる and it told me to look for おりる where I found 下りる, 降りる. After I read the meanings, I can't find anything that would make sense in this context.

Then I started to think that this is a typo and it should have been いません instead:

死んだ人がいません。

literally, "there does not exist a person who died".

Question: Is this a typo? If not, what is the meaning of おりません and how will the meaning change if I used いません?

In meaning,

「おる」=「いる」 and

「おりません」=「いません」

So, there is no typo here as 「おる」 is a dictionary word. Think of it as a somewhat old-fashioned version of 「いる」.

The line in question is uttered by a villager, so one could say that 「おりません」 is being used as role language at least loosely.

「未だに死んだ人がおりません。」 means:

"No one has ever died (here)." or

"There is no one who has died (here)."

• Might be worth mentioning that おる is still used in modern-day language in extremely formal situations. – Kurausukun Dec 31 '16 at 8:23

It's 居{お}る as in http://jisho.org/word/居る-1 .

死んだ人がおりません。

would be translated to

There is no dead person.

• Will it change the meaning of the sentence if I used いません here? – Sweeper Dec 30 '16 at 12:28
  • @Sweeper I think not. いる is also written 居る and have very similar meaning ( if any different ) – Yuki Inoue Dec 30 '16 at 12:30
  • "There s no dead person." would not be such an accurate translation. – l'électeur Dec 30 '16 at 12:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.