Consider the following four verbs:

They all can mean "pursue". What are their differences?

Note: I did read their definitions and tried to catch some nuances by myself, but I am not sure about them. My thoughts was that the first three seem to carry an idea of a chase that requires effort, while the fourth allows an "easy" pursue, such as following a hyperlink on the internet. But even if this guess is correct, the difference between the first three verbs would remain unknown.

辿る is closer to "to trace (a road, a wire, etc)" and it does not mean "to chase". 追っかける is just a colloquial variation of 追いかける.

追う and 追いかける are mostly interchangeable. The primary meaning of 追う and 追いかける is "to chase (a car, a dream, etc)" or "to follow (an interesting topic, a person that has gone to another country, etc)". Perhaps the biggest difference is the level of formality. In casual conversations 追いかける is mainly used, while 追う sounds more formal and/or literary. In addition, only 追う means 追い立てる, "to drive (a herd of cattle, like a cowboy)".

EDIT: You may have seen this post, but I'm not really convinced by their explanation. In a drama, a senior police officer might say "(あの車を)追うぞ!" with great urgency and it sounds to me more formal and/or dignified than saying "追いかけるぞ!"

| improve this answer | |

"追う" is the most general word and means "follow."

"追いかける" means "chase", not just "follow," but "follow and catch up."

"妻と喧嘩した。妻は家を出ていった。私はすぐに追いかけた。" "I had a quarrel with my wife, and she went out our house. I immediately chased my wife to catch up to her."

"追っかける" is rather casual. If you are a police officer, you should use the term "追いかける" not "追っかける." If you are a teenager, and chase your friend, you can use the term "追っかける."

"辿る": Suppose there are several points, P1, P2, P3, P4, P5 in a sequential order. When you follow the points from P1 to P5 in order to get P5. Your behavior can be described as "辿る."

追う and 追いかける - They have some difference nuances.
追いかける is more urgent than 追う. (So 追いかける can mean chase. )

辿る is not urgent. This can mean 'follow'.

追いかける and 追っかける - They are same, but 追いかける is more formal.

「imperious」なんて、僕には聞いたことのない言葉です。「urgent」または比較級の「more urgent」のほうはどうでしょうか? – oals Dec 31 '16 at 8:46
  • @oals 教えて下さり、ありがとうございました。直しときますね。 – ra1ned Dec 31 '16 at 9:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.