Im using an Anki deck to study vocabulary. It's translation for the sentence 私が手伝いましょう is "Can I help you?". Im a bit confused, as I see no question marker in that sentence. I would guess it's meaning to be "I (We?) will help you (us?)". I'm a bit confused since the sentence starts with 私が but ends with ましょう。Is this a common phrase or is the translation incorrect? I would appreciate any help in breaking down this sentence.

ありがとう。

As the translation of "Can I help you?", 私が手伝いましょうか? may be more accurate than 私が手伝いましょう but they mean almost the same thing, don't they?

私が~しましょう is used but 私が is often omitted because a subject is often omitted in Japanese language.

In addition, ~しましょう has two meanings: One is "will" like 私が手伝いましょう。 (I will help you). The other is "let's" like みんなで山に登りましょう。 (Let's climb a mountain with everyone).

Well it should really be "lets" or "let me" ,"allow me" when using "ましょう".

As in "let me help you with that "

You could say "Can I help you with that?" , "手伝いましょうか" and not use a question mark as the "か" indicates that it is a question. But it does not always need this to imply a question.

Edit: I would not say the translation is incorrect as it does need some clarification, but i can certainly see how it would be confusing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.