Is it right to say "本の持ち主のために。" or "本の所有者のために。"?

I'm envisaging a situation where someone has done a simplified version of their book on the internet and it says "For book owners, see page 115 for more details".

What is the context? – Earthliŋ Dec 27 '16 at 13:43
  • It's like a heading. "For book owners: Read page blah blah blah. . ." Thank you. – Dan Dec 27 '16 at 13:54
    @Dan Is owing the book a special thing, or anybody can? Are they end users who bought it in the store, or having it for sale? Are they owing copies of the book or copyright owners? Do they still have the book or have lost, lent, or something? – broccoli forest Dec 27 '16 at 14:38
  • I think it's clear that ために is probably not what you're looking for. Still, I don't understand the context. Most copies of a book go to people who are owning and reading the book. And even if not, why address only the book's owners (which may be a public library) and not all its readers? – Earthliŋ Dec 27 '16 at 15:28
  • @Earthliŋ I'm envisaging a situation where someone has done a simplified version of their book on the internet and it says "For book owners, see page 115 for more details". – user3856370 Dec 27 '16 at 15:38

Your translation is not correct. In this caser, we never say 〜のために**. Instead of it, this is correct:

本の所有者/持ち主の方(へ)

But in this case, we use polite words. So I would say:

• 本をお持ちの皆様、(詳しくは)115ページをご覧ください

お持ち and ご覧ください is polite form (尊敬語).

「お持ち」は「持つ」の謙譲語(humble language)ではなく尊敬語(honorific/respectful language)ではないでしょうか。「持つ」の主語・動作主は話者でなく聞き手ですので。 – Chocolate Dec 28 '16 at 8:25
  • そうでした、すぐ書き換えます。 – Heav1est Dec 28 '16 at 8:27

There is still a lack of context to give a proper answer, but you could try something in the lines of:

本をお持ちの方は、XXページへ

• 「[本]{ほん}の[持]{も}ち[方]{かた}」 means "The way of holding a book"... Maybe you meant to say 「[本]{ほん}をお[持]{も}ちの[方]{かた}」, right? – Chocolate Dec 28 '16 at 1:47
  • @chocolate Oops sorry. Thanks for spotting my mistake. I forgot the お in front of the 持ち and probably got a wrong auto-correction/suggestion >.< – stack reader Dec 28 '16 at 1:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.