What is the difference between 母{はは} and 妣{なきはは}?

What kind of dictionary are you using? I'm sure most native speakers don't know 妣, and I haven't even remember seeing this kanji in my archaic Japanese class at high school. – naruto Dec 25 '16 at 10:22
  • @naruto I'm using site jisho.org to learning and search kanjis. – Macabeus Dec 25 '16 at 17:18
    Actually jisho.org is full of rare kanji and words which even native speakers can't read. One thing I recommend is to double-check the word with ALC, which is a large e-dictionary targeted at native Japanese audience. If ALC don't know some kanji, it probably means ordinary Japanese people don't know that kanji, either :) – naruto Dec 25 '16 at 17:26

母 is a very common term for mother. 妣 is rarely used nowadays and usually understood as "late mother", but it may be used as a variant of 母.

母に万葉で「妣」の字を宛てたのは、歿後の父母なる事を示したと言ふ事も出来ようが、唯母と通用したものだらう。そして、唯色々な形の歌を組み入れたゞけと見る方がよい。 (折口信夫 相聞の発達)

You rather say "late mother" in English. – macraf Dec 25 '16 at 7:57
  • @macraf I knew 'dead' here wasn't appropriate but couldn't find the right one (I thought of deceased, which wasn't what I needed). Very much appreciated, thank you! – Yosh Dec 25 '16 at 8:06

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.