I was trying to understand 今はただ, which I eventually concluded must mean: just now. I explain it to myself as ただ emphasises the noun now, as only or just one. Is this correct?

While on it, I came across: ただ今, which appears to have the same literal meaning.

Do these two statements mean exactly the same thing or are there any differences in meaning or use?

But 今はだ doesn't have だ... Maybe you meant to type 今はだ? – Chocolate Dec 25 '16 at 0:59
  • Sorry, typo corrected. The full phrase for context is: 今 は ただ、安心 して、おやすみなさい。 – vandeever Dec 25 '16 at 1:15

ただ今 is a single formal word that means (just) now, (at) present, (very) soon, etc. It works as a noun and as a standalone adverb without any particle.

• ただ今より会議を開始します。(formal)
    Now we start the meeting.
  • 彼はただ今参りますので、少々お待ち下さい。(formal)
    He will come (very) soon, please wait for a moment.

今はただ is three words (今 + は + ただ), and there's nothing idiomatic. 今は means (as for) now, and ただ means just, only, merely, etc. For example,

• 今はただこの写真が残っているだけだ。
    Now only this photo remains (everything else is lost).
  • 今はただ眠りたい。
    I just want to sleep for now.

Note that ただ in 今はただ is an adverb that modifies something different than 今 (usually a following verb).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.