In the following sentence:

知りたい こと も、後で ちゃんと 教えてあげる…

The first part: 知りたい こと, I understand as: what (you) want to know, because of -tai and koto combination.

The second part: 後で ちゃんと 教えてあげる…, means I think: (I) will properly inform (you) later.

The above seems to make sense when put together, but I think I'm not capturing the meaning of も. The first part seems like a noun and with a single も in the sentence my guess would be too/also.

Considering this, could the sentence be translated as: (It is) what (I) want to know too, (I) will properly inform (you) later.? Am I at least close?

As soon as I read your last sentence, I knew that you were overthinking. The sentence in question is much simpler than you seem to think both in structure and meaning.

「知{し}りたい こと 、後{あと}で ちゃんと 教{おし}えてあげる。」

The 「も」 simply suggests that there are other things (besides what the listener wants to know) that the speaker will be explaining/teaching for the listener later on.

In other words, 「も」 modifies 「教えてあげる」.

Your guess of 「も」 being "too/also" is correct, but the important thing is to know "what too", "also what", etc.

Unless this sentence appeared in a context/situation so unusual that I could not even have imagined, it would mean:

"I will surely teach (or "explain to") you the thing(s) you want(ed) to know and stuff (or "other things")."

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.