I'm curious with the title of this anime, 神様のいない日曜日。Why is it title such, and not 神様いないの日曜日?

As I understand it this follows the X の Y rule where X owns Y, right? If it is written as such wouldn't that make it God's non-existant Sunday instead of Godless Sunday (the Anime is known as Sunday without God in English).

So, once again, why is it 神様のいない日曜日 and not 神様いないの日曜日?

神様のいない日曜日 is one of my favorite animes!

Well, 神様のいない日曜日 is the same in meaning as 神様いない日曜日.

In relative clauses, we can use の instead of が as a subject marker. (If you want to know why, this question may be of help: Why can の and が both mark subjects in relative clauses?)

Here, 神様のいない is a relative clause that modifies 日曜日.

So this の is not of possession, and does not have the nuance of "X owns Y."

Since the meaning of 神様がいない is "God does not exist", the meaning of 神様のいない日曜日 (== 神様がいない日曜日) is "Sunday on which God does not exist".

By the way, your attempt "神様いないの日曜日" makes no sense.

First, 神様いない is not grammatical. As 神様 is a subject here, it should be 神様がいない.

When you want to add information of the form of a complete sentence (like 神様がいない) to a noun, you can't use の. To do that, make it a relative clause. By doing so you get the phrase 神様がいない日曜日.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.