I tried (at least) to construct a sentence. However, when I showed it to a native-speaker and asked if it was correct they did not understand. But I can't see what is wrong with it...

昨日時半間で昼寝しました。

What I tried to say:

Yesterday I took a nap for an half hour.

Is this sentence incomprehensible?

• Where did you learn to say 時半間? – l'électeur Dec 22 '16 at 13:26
  • @l'électeur Ohh, is the proper way to say it 半時間? Don't think I learned it anywhere if it's considered incorrect. I must have just done it wrong. – user19175 Dec 22 '16 at 13:31
  • @macraf The sentence was in text-format on the app HiNative. – user19175 Dec 22 '16 at 13:36

「昨日{きのう}時半間で昼寝{ひるね}しました。」

By 「時半間」, you probably meant to say 「半時間{はんじかん}」 for "half an hour", but still we do not say 「半時間」 in Standard Japanese. We say 「30分{ぷん}」.

I have heard that they say 「半時間」 to mean "half an hour" in Kansai (around Osaka, that is), but I am not sure if it is true. Hope someone can confirm this.

Also important is that you do not need to place a particle after 「30分」. It is not even optional; You cannot use a particle there.

So, you will have:

「昨日、30分昼寝(を)しました。」

• even 30分の昼寝 doesn't work? I found this: mezamashi.jp/suimin/hirune – Igor Skochinsky Dec 22 '16 at 19:05
  • 30分の昼寝 is fine as a noun phrase. When I said no particle was needed, I meant "in the sentence OP is trying to form". In other words, I meant when 30分 was directly followed by a verb. All I wanted to say was that to say "did something for 30 minutes", you do not use a particle after 30分. – l'électeur Dec 23 '16 at 0:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.