I'm a bit confused about parts of a text my host mother sent me, and haven't answered yet because I want to understand what she means completely...

楽しんでたよ。公園でやったから、休を働かすゲームもあったしね!

I understand what 楽しい is, and that it can mean "have fun" as 楽しんで, but don't think 楽しんでたよ means the same thing. I know that よ is kind of like ", okay?" but the た threw me off. I wasn't sure about the 休 standing by itself...it seems like it might be a typo. It's hard to tell, since I'm never sure if it's a typo of just something I don't understand. I looked up the 働かす part and figured she meant that she was able to keep the kids busy with with the park and the games.

I know that ゲームもあった means she had games as well, and I know that ね is an ending particle similar to "right?" but the し in front of it confused me a lot.

I'm mostly confused about the んでた in the beginning and the あったしね at the end...particularly the しね part, since I understand the あった.

Thanks for your help!!

• I understand the main parts of what she's saying, but the parts I don't quite get make it difficult to understand her whole meaning. I guess having it all translated would help me understand, so it isn't all that different. Sorry, I'm just long-winded, I guess. – wings Dec 22 '16 at 6:20
  • Thank you, that really helps a lot!! I guess it was shorter to explain what I didn't understand because it's a small amount. What I know it kind of limited, so I know of ね at the end of sentences, but the し in しね really threw me off. Similarly, I have seen 楽しんで and know what よ at the end of sentences means, but the で – wings Dec 22 '16 at 6:27
  • *but the だ confused me. – wings Dec 22 '16 at 6:28
  • Can't see any だ you refer to, sorry, I was just trying to explain this way of proceeding makes no sense, it seems I failed. – macraf Dec 22 '16 at 6:32
    We're kind of asking: what parts of the sentence do you understand and how? (Also, is 「休を働かす」 a typo?) – oals Dec 22 '16 at 7:23

楽しんでたよ。

means 楽しんでたよ。 "They were having fun."
楽しんで is the te-form of the verb 楽しむ "to enjoy" (or, 楽しん is a conjugated form of the verb 楽しむ and the て is a conjunctive particle/接続助詞).
The い in ~ている/~でいる often gets dropped in casual speech.
The よ at the end is a sentence-final particle (終助詞) that you often use when informing someone of something new.

公園でやったから、休を働かすゲームもあったしね!

I think 休を[働]{はたら}かす is a typo for [体]{からだ}を[動]{うご}かす, meaning "to move one's body" "to get physical activity" "to get exercise."
The し is a 接続助詞/conjunctive particle. It has several usages, such as adding information, listing multiple things, giving a reason, etc. Here it means "because," indicating a reason for 楽しんでいたよ. (The から indicates that 公園でやった was the reason for 体を動かすゲームもあった.)
Literally... "Because there were also games in which they had to move their bodies, because they/we did it in the park."
The ね at the end is a sentence-final particle often used when asking for agreement, adding a nuance of "you know," and/or making the sentence sound softer.

なーんだ、「休」じゃなくて、「体」だったのか… – oals Dec 22 '16 at 11:16
  • OPの文が「休」であることにすら気づかんかった・・・脳が自動的に「体」って読んでた・・・ – Chocolate Dec 22 '16 at 15:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.