enter image description hereThis is my first time asking a question so I'm pretty excited! Thanks a lot in advance for taking your time to read my rant. At the moment I'm working on a translation, but I'm having problems with a word that's hard to define because it's hand written. This is the phrase: 彼がくゆえていた部分 But when I look for "Kuyuete" meaning, even if I split the word in two, I didn't found any meaning. It seems I have three totally useless japanese dictionary's because I didn't found anything at all. So I tried with: "Kumeete" but I didn't have luck neither. Have you heard about those words? I've been looking for it about 1 week. Thanks a lot!

Edit: I added the image text, it seems the real word is "くめえて" instead "くゆえて" and finally after a loong research I think "汲む" it's the word I'm looking for.

  • 2
    くわえる? くらえる? A picture would help. – oals Dec 17 '16 at 9:52
  • 2
    I could kinda guess already, but It would be a far better question if you provided more context. – l'électeur Dec 17 '16 at 9:54
  • @oals What would 彼がくらえていた部分 mean? – l'électeur Dec 17 '16 at 9:56
  • 2
    please provide a picture, your guesses so far don't make sense. – Igor Skochinsky Dec 17 '16 at 12:50
  • 1
    No, 汲む is definitely not the word you're looking for. (What form is 汲めえていた supposed to be anyway?) Rather than spending long hours searching for a word that doesn't exist, your time might have been better spent learning about (handwritten) hiragana that would have allowed you to identify the character as わ (and not め or ゆ). – Earthliŋ Dec 17 '16 at 22:04

The verb you are looking for is 「くえる」, which means "to hold between one's teeth".

(This has nothing to do with 「加{くわ}える」 ("to add").)

「くわえていた部分{ぶぶん}」 means "the part (someone) was holding between his teeth"

「くえて」 makes no sense.

「汲{く}む」("to dip up") does not conjugate to 「くわえていた」. It can only conjugate to 「くんでいた」.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.