Example I have the english text "enjoy music" which from google translate looks like this
音楽を楽しむ where music is 音楽 , so can I do this

を楽しむ -(enjoy)
音楽 -(music)

flush left

closed as unclear what you're asking by istrasci, macraf, Dono, snailboat Dec 20 '16 at 4:00

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• What do you mean by "flush left"? I don't understand what you're asking. – istrasci Dec 17 '16 at 1:08
  • @istrasci, I could be wrong, but I interpreted that to mean text aligned on the left. – Eiríkr Útlendi Dec 17 '16 at 1:42

If your text will be laid out basically as shown in your post, you have the grammar backwards -- English and Japanese put things in almost exactly the opposite order, broadly speaking. So do this instead:

音楽を
楽しむ

This works better both grammatically and graphically: Japanese text design has a general bias towards things fitting neatly into boxes. :)

If you can do a vertical layout, do this:

楽音  
し楽  
むを  

Note that you shouldn't rotate the characters, and that the first character is at the top right. Vertical Japanese (and Chinese) is read top-to-bottom, then right-to-left. Imagine if you just took an English book and turned it 90° clockwise, but somehow each individual letter remained un-turned.

Meaning-wise, I'm not sure this says what you intend. The Japanese is just a generic statement, "[someone: I, you, they, she] enjoy(s) music". Is the English intended as a command or request? If so, you'll have to change the Japanese. One possibility:

音楽を
楽しんで

or:

楽音  
し楽  
んを  
で
  • Wow thanks! The intended meaning is "Come enjoy the music" ... I reduced it to "enjoy music " as I thought thats what a translation would reduce it self to in english. – Dallas Dec 16 '16 at 19:52
  • I can do the very first one or second both will work. thanks! – Dallas Dec 16 '16 at 23:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.