What does こゆびくらい mean? I found this word in a children"s book.

The complete sentence is:

むかし むかし こどもが いない おじいさんと おかあさんが かみさまに おねがいを すると こゆびくらいの おとこのこが うまれました

From this I understand:

A long time ago and Grandfather and Grandmother that couldn`t have child so crave god...

• The direct object of "crave" in English is what you want (what you ask for), not whom you ask, so they rather prayed to the gods, or begged gods, but craved a child. – macraf Dec 15 '16 at 2:03
  • Where are you guys getting "crave" from? – istrasci Dec 15 '16 at 6:28
  • 小指 means little finger. Origin of the name is, A long ago, applied external medicine by using a little finger. – Heav1est Dec 15 '16 at 6:54
  • @macraf thanks for the help I use crave because I don't know other word in English :P, – oriaj Dec 15 '16 at 19:12
  • so a better translate could be A long time ago and grandfather and grandmother I could not have child, they begged God so born about the size of a little finger – oriaj Dec 15 '16 at 19:21

小指{こゆび} is a "little finger"

くらい indicates an approximate quantity or size (in this case)

So together with の they mean "about the size of a little finger" and refer to the boy (おとこのこ), who was born.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.