I want to translate the following sentence to Japanese.

In order not to make her angry but make her delighted, I must choose a proper gift for her birthday.

My attempt is as follows,

彼女は怒られないように、または喜ぶために、妥当な誕生日へのプルゼントを選ばなくてはならない。

Is it natural? Is there any other better way to say "in order not to make her angry but to make her delighted" ?

You can use a causative verbal auxiliary せる like 彼女を怒らせるのではなく、喜ばせるために. 怒られない is passive form.

I feel 妥当な is a bit unnatural in this sentence and それ相応の may be more appropriate. And への in 誕生日へのプレゼント is extra.

• 例文は「not A but B」であり、「not only A but B」ではないと思うのですが、どうでしょうか? – marasai Dec 14 '16 at 19:23
  • not only A but also B として訳すと、「彼女を怒らせるだけではなく、喜ばすためにも」となり意味が変になり、そのように訳したつもりはないんですが、「not A but B」として「怒らせるのではなく、喜ばせるために」と訳した方がいいかもしれません。編集しときます。 – Yuuichi Tam Dec 15 '16 at 4:59

または means "or", so your sentence sort mean that you want her to not get angry OR get happy.

You might wanna use より(よりむしろ) instead. To mean "instead".

Also, I think that 怒られる would mean that someone gets angry at her. 怒る would mean that she gets angry.

彼女は怒るより、喜ぶために(ように)・・・

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.