I want to say, that the weaving machine is weaving material on high speed using synthetic fibre. But I am confused, if I can use the combination 合繊【ごうせん】から instead of 合繊【ごうせん】で, so I won't have で twice in my sentence...

Could you please help me understand which, から or で, is better here and why?

織機【しょっき】は超速【ちょうそく】でこの合繊【ごうせん】生地【きじ】を織ります【おります】。

vs

織機【しょっき】は超速【ちょうそく】でこの合繊【ごうせん】から生地【きじ】を織ります【おります】。

I think there's an issue in your current phrasing, where it could be said a better way. Regardless, you would use 合繊で for this sentence. I might come back and put a full answer if I can figure out why I'm bothered by your current syntax. – Pleiades Dec 12 '16 at 17:59

Both で and から work fine. Using で twice itself does not look odd to me because these two で clearly serve different functions. But in this case から may be a bit easier to understand because it's more explicit about what turns into what. Another simple way to say this is 合繊生地織りあげます. Many compound verbs in the form of ~あげる take AをBに and add the meaning of "putting A into B" (e.g, 鍛えあげる, まとめあげる, おだてあげる, 仕立てあげる).

What I'm more concerned with is the mixture of casual and technical words. 織機 is a difficult and technical term, while 超速 is a highly casual and/or manga-like word. If you want to put this sentence rather seriously, you should use 高速で ("high speed") or 超高速で ("super-high speed") instead. 合繊 also looks jargon-like to me, so you might want to replace it with 合成繊維 depending on the audience of this sentence.

織機は合成繊維を高速で生地に織り上げます。

• Great explanation and comments, thank you so much! – Fara Dec 16 '16 at 12:23

Perhaps you should say:

織機は超速で生地をこの合繊から織ります。

It flows a little better.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.