I know all three mean "since that..", "now that..", "So long as...." etc. I have trouble understanding the difference between these three. I was wondering in what scenario would I use these 3 grammar points. Is one more formal than the other? The only thing I can see is that both からには and 上は are used for only verbs and 以上 can be used for nouns.

Can you give an example where 「以上」used in the structure 「noun + 以上」 can mean "now that ~~", etc? – l'électeur Dec 9 '16 at 7:51

First, 上は is less common than からには and 以上. I rarely hear 上は of this usage, except the fixed phrase かくなる上は.

In most cases からには and 以上 are interchangeable if used after verbs.

But there could be a difference. By googling I found this paper discussing the difference.

Let me quote the conclusion:

Ⅰ. 「からには」構文の条件節は確定的事態(是、否)を要求するのに対して、「以上」構文の条件節は確定的事態(是、否)でも仮定的事態でも(是、否)可能である。さらに、両者の本質的な違いは前件にナイ形が用いられるか否かではなく、確定的事態であるか否かにある。

Ⅱ. 「以上」構文は常に対照的含意を含むのに対し、「からには」構文は「以上」構文と置き換えられる場合のみ、対照的含意を含む。

Conclusion Ⅰ says that からには can take only facts but 以上 can take assumptions as well.

For example (quoted from the above paper):

おまえがいつまでも嘘をつく以上、私はおまえに会いたくないね

As long as you keep lying, I don't want to see you.

Here, 以上 can mean "if", "provided that" or "as long as" but からには can't. If you use からには it would be:

おまえがいつまでも嘘をつくからには、私はおまえに会いたくないね

Because you keep lying, I don't want to see you.

Conclusion Ⅱ says that 以上 always implies a contrastive meaning (?) at the same time, but からには not always.

For example,

おまえがいつまでも嘘をつく以上、私はおまえに会いたくないね

As long as you keep lying, I don't want to see you.

implies that

If you stop lying, I could see you.

But the following

映画俳優の卵であるからには、これまた人並以上の美貌を備えていた。

Since that he was a movie actor in the making, he was also equipped with better look than ordinary.

doesn't mean "If he isn't a movie actor in the making, he is not so good-looking", so we cannot change からには to 以上.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.