I'm not sure about the meaning of this sentences:

ロリンズはヘル・イン・ア・セルPPVで俺がオーエンズに無事勝利したらこのリストを返してやる。

Is it saying that at ヘル・イン・ア・セルPPV, ロリンズ is going to return the リスト if he gets a clean victory over オーエンズ, because in the original broadcast(this is a Japanese translation of a wrestling broadcast) it says a different thing(it never anything about ロリンズ giving back the リスト after ヘル・イン・ア・セルPPV). I don't think 無事 is an adjective because adj + noun + する is ungrammatical.

無事勝利 is two words. Here 無事 is used as an adverb which means "without trouble" or "safely". 勝利 is a simple suru-verb that means "to win".

無事 here is interchangeable with 無事に. I think you already know how to turn a no- or na-adjective into an adverb by adding に. Some words work as standalone adverbs without に as well as standard adjectives.

• 絶対に = 絶対 = absolutely: 絶対に勝利する = 絶対勝利する
  • 突然に = 突然 = suddenly: 突然に思い出す = 突然思い出す
  • 大変に = 大変 = very/strongly: 大変にありがたい = 大変ありがたい

However 確実 (certain) and 唐突 (sudden) do not work as standalone adverbs. It depends.

• So, is it saying that ロリンズ is going to return the list after his victory over オーエンズ? – Jon Dec 8 '16 at 2:49
    @Jon Actually this sentence is malformed. Looks like the author of this article has a bad habit of omitting brackets altogether when clearly necessary. Anyway 「ヘル・イン・ア・セルPPVで俺がオーエンズに無事勝利したらこのリストを返してやる」 means "I will return this list if I have beaten Owens," yes. – naruto Dec 8 '16 at 3:12
  • Well that shocks me a bit, I noticed that too but I that adding という at the end of the sentence was enough. I also read translations from jabroni.typepad.jp/wwe and they do use brackets but no という at the end. I thought it was just different styles. – Jon Dec 8 '16 at 3:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.