I'm looking for the Japanese text of the following haiku, maybe written by Sasaki Sadako :

Statute of A-bomb child

she seems as if walking

after a butterfly

I found the English text here. The author may be Sasaki Sadako (see the mention "Sadoka Sasaki - a thousand of cranes") or Yasuhiko Shigemoto (but I don't see this haiku in the texts written by this author and available online).

I guess "Statute of A-bomb child" is the translation of "原爆の子の像" (seven morae).

Where does it say it was written by Sasaki? – l'électeur Dec 7 '16 at 13:36
  • @l'électeur : you're right, I updated my question. – suizokukan Dec 7 '16 at 13:47
  • Looking at the page, I think the best place to look for a Japanese original might be in Yasuhiko Shigemoto's books わたしのヒロシマ俳句「My Haiku of Hiroshima」 (Vol. 1 or 2). – Earthliŋ Dec 7 '16 at 14:19

[Disclaimer: This might crush your dream.]

First of all, here are the facts - if I can trust Wiki, that is.

The haiku in question could not have been written by 佐々木禎子{ささきさだこ}. Why not? That is because Sasaki died in 1955 and the statue was completed in 1958 to commemorate Sasaki and other kids. Sasaki simply could not have written a poem inspired by the statue as she never saw it herself.

Secondly, my gut feeling as a Japanese-speaker more than anything. (That means you can take it or leave it.)

It would be safe to say that the haiku was written by 重本泰彦{しげもとやすひろ} though I could not find it anywhere online and it was written in English in the first place. Thus, there exists no such thing as the Japanese original. Shigemoto seems to have written many haiku in English.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.