Is this correct, is the idea correct?

メキシコの国語はスペイン語です
Spanish is the national language in Mexico

The translators do not show if it can be used like this, also I have seen that it is used to refer to the Japanese language, is it the same to say:

日本語 equals to 国語 ?

• Note: your usage is right and the proposition is wrong (technically). – broccoli forest Dec 8 '16 at 12:25
  • Could you please elaborate a little more on what do you mean by proposition?, I don't think I understand the problem. – exs Dec 8 '16 at 17:30
  • I think your statement is not accurate. It reads as if Spanish is the only one has the "national language" status, but to my knowledge they have designated 50+ languages as national languages, so a well-founded sentence would be "Spanish is a national language in Mexico" or スペイン語はメキシコの国語です. – broccoli forest Dec 9 '16 at 0:43

The dictionary tells us:

1 一国の主体をなす民族が、共有し、広く使用している言語。その国の公用語・共通語。
Language shared and widely used by the people of a country. The official language of this country.

So your sentence is correct.

The second entry:

2 日本の言語。日本語。

made clear that without context 国語 means 日本語 as you assumed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.