I want to say:

I don't think cats are ever friendly.

The only "ever" I know is using ことがある but that doesn't seem appropriate. My attempt without the "ever" is:

猫が友好的じゃないものと思います。

Btw, have I used もの correctly to make this into a statement about cats in general?

• I'd turn "cats are never friendly" around and say "no cat is friendly" with 猫はみんな〜〜 which is pretty colloquial. – oals Dec 5 '16 at 7:44

I would personally suggest using 「決{けっ}して~~ない」 to say "not ~~ ever ~~" as in:

「ネコは決して人{ひと}なつっこい生{い}き物{もの}ではないと思{おも}います。」

「ネコは決して人なつっこくないと思います。」

「友好的{ゆうこうてき}」 sounds pretty stiff, so I changed it to 「人なつっこい」.

「じゃない」 is OK even though I used 「ではない」. 「じゃない」, however, can replace 「ではない」 only in my first sentence. In the second sentence, you cannot say 「ひとなつっこくじゃない」 or 「ひとなつっこいじゃない」.

(「じゃない」, for some reason, is very popular among J-learners, but using it is not as easy as many of them seem to think. For instance, if you said 「人なつっこいじゃない」, it has an affirmative meaning --"friendly, eh?". the negative form of the i-adjective 「人なつっこい」 is 「人なつっこくない」. One cannot say it using 「じゃない」. 「友好的じゃない」, however, is grammatical because 友好的 is a na-adjective.)

I would not feel too comfortable if you used 「もの」 instead of 「生き物」 to talk about animals.

• Thanks. So I think 決して can only go with a negative predicate, right? What if I wanted to ask "Do you think cats are ever friendly?". Would I be back to using ことがある for this? – user3856370 Dec 4 '16 at 15:02
  • You could use 「ことがある」 if your emphasis is on the FREQUENCY of cats being friendly. – l'électeur Dec 4 '16 at 15:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.