I'm an elementary Japanese student. I am trying to write a simple story in Japanese, and I want to make it as interesting as possible with my current knowledge of the language. I am concerned about the dialogue in my story. The only way I know how to write that someone said something is through the use of という. I am worried that my story will become repetitive during a scene with a lot of dialogue. I don't want it to sound like this:

スーさんが「さむいです。」といいました。

はなこさんが「そうですね。」といいました。

スーさんが「かえりましょう。」といいました。

はなこさんが「ちょっとまってください。とりをみたいです。」といいました。

I will be reading this story aloud to an audience, so I want to avoid the repetitive "[person] が [dialogue] といいました" construction. What are some ways I can spice up my dialogue? Can it work the same way in English, where I can remove the dialogue tag (he said, she said) when my speakers are established? Can I also mix in action between the dialogue while doing this?

スーさんが「さむいです。」といいました。

はなこさんが「そうですね。」といいました。

スーさんがはなこさんのてをつかみました。「かえりましょう。」

「ちょっとまってください。とりをみたいです。」

"It's cold," said Sue.

"It is," said Hanako.

Sue grasped Hanako's hand. "Let's go home."

"Wait a bit. I want to watch the birds."

I know my dialogue is going to sound awkward and unnatural, but I'm not worried about that since I'm not at the point where I can pick up on nuances. Right now I am worried about getting the grammar down and not sounding repetitive.

Any help is appreciated! (Also, please answer in kana or romaji.)

The dialogue itself sounds sort of stilted ... – Aeon Akechi Dec 3 '16 at 0:37
  • Yes, I know. I won't be able to make natural-sounding dialogue at this point, but that's not my concern. – Summer Dec 3 '16 at 18:31

Can it work the same way in English, where I can remove the dialogue tag (he said, she said) when my speakers are established? Can I also mix in action between the dialogue while doing this?

Yes.

スーさんがはなこさんのてをつかみました。「かえりましょう。」
「ちょっとまってください。とりをみたいです。」

It looks good to me.

To sound less repetitive and more natural (and colorful?) I think you could also...

• use other verbs like つぶやく、はなしかける、きく、こたえる etc.
  • place the subject and the verb phrase before or after the dialogue
  • leave out the quotative marker と (though not always possible)
  • use the present tense (to sound vivid or lively)

For example...

スーさんが「さむいわ。」といいました。
「そうね。」(と)はなこさんがこたえます。

• use 「verb+と」 form (meaning "When~~"), or a conjunction like すると  
  • you could even leave out the verb phrase (using 体言止め)

「さむいわ。」スーさんがささやくと、
「そうね。」と、はなこさん。

• use a relative clause
  • you could even use a totally different verb than いう、きく、こたえる etc.

「さむいわ。」とふるえるスーさんに、
はなこさんが「そうね。」とちいさくうなずきます。
「かえりましょ。」と(いいながら)、スーさんははなこさんのてをつかみました。

• you could also use 体言止め with a relative clause:

「そうね。」とうなずくはなこさん。

• or you could even go like this:

XXにやってきたスーさんとはなこさん。しばらくすると、スーさんがこごえでつぶやきます。
「さむいわ。」
「そうね。」
「かえりましょ。」
「ちょっとまって。とりがみたいの。」

I think there would be several more ways but this is all I can think of right now...

Good luck :)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.