I noticed that in anime and other Japanese shows, people often pronounce 「ない」 as 「ねい」. For example, instead of saying 「使わない」, the person will say 「使わねい」, but the translation is the same.
I have many questions about this.
- Is there any nuanced difference in meaning between 〜ない and 〜ねい?
- Is it a colloquialism? Is it from a specific region or used mostly by one gender?
- When written, is it spelled 〜ねい or 〜ねえ? And do people often use it in writing, or only in speech?
- I've also noticed that 「すごい」 sometimes gets pronounced 「すげい」. Is this the same phenomenon? Are there other non-ない examples?
- Does this transformation have a name? I'd like to read more about it but I don't know what to search.