I noticed this coincidence and I couldn't help wondering since other parts are based off of Chinese(kanji)

• Note that the Chinese sound written as yu is actually ü in German ([[y]]) and not a set of a consonant and a vowel like you in English and ゆ in Japanese. – broccoli forest Dec 3 '16 at 11:18
  • Yeah, I know :P – David C. Dec 4 '16 at 12:27

No, it's a coincidence. ゆ is over a thousand years old and is thought to be derived from 由. You can find a chart of the kanji that hiragana developed from on Wikipedia.

Mandarin is more recent and corresponds to Japanese 魚 gyo, both of which developed from Middle Chinese ngyo (where the digraph ‹ng› represents the nasal velar sound [ŋ], as in English ring). At the time ゆ developed, the sound was too different from yu to make this kind of connection.

No.

Hiragana ゆ developed from the kanji character 由 (see for example this).

Japanese on-yomi reading of kanji 魚 is ぎょ and there is no relation to the Chinese yu.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.