When I was learning how to use だけ and しか, I was told that だけ and しか both means "only". But the latter requires the verb to be in the negative form.

For example:

あの人だけが好きだ。
I only like that person.

これしか買わない。
Only buy this.

But out of all the examples I've seen, だけ and しか are only used with nouns or verbs. I never seen it used with amounts.

For example:

A: これは高いね
A: This is expensive, isn't it?

B: 全然高くない!100円だけだよ!
B: It's not expensive at all! It's only 100 yen!

Is that correct? Also, can I use it wih other counter words like 一人 and 三つ?

Yes, you can. For example:

二人だけが生き残った。 / Only two people survived.

君が払うのは100円だけでいい。 / You have to pay only 100 yen.

りんごを5個だけ買った。 / I bought only 5 apples.

ここには三人しかいない。 / There are only three people here.

今は500円しか持っていない。 / I have only 500 yen now.

その話を3割しか理解できなかった。 / I could understand only 30% of that story.

But your example sounds unnatural. The better translations are:

たった(の)100円だよ!

100円(だけ)しかかからないよ!

かかるのは100円だけだよ!

I think 100円だけだよ is not enough for us to infer the subject (the price). So in the second and third examples I added that information by the verb かかる (to cost).

In the first example たった means "only; no more than," which is specific to amounts. By using たった instead of だけ/しか, the subject becomes inferable.

• I can't understand でいい in "君が払うのは100円だけでいい". Could you explain it to me? – Dav7n Nov 30 '16 at 15:44
    @Dav7n Well, AはBでいい means "It's OK/enough if A is B."   So, the verbatim translation is "It's enough if what you pay is only 100 yen." – Faily Feely Nov 30 '16 at 15:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.