So I am currently trying to translate a sentence from japanese to english, but it's quite long and I'm having issues on how to optimally put it, without it being too messy or without losing too much information.

The sentence goes as follows :

既にニュースにもなっているが昨夜7時頃、会長の大栗さんがテニススクールの帰り道に[夕摩川]{ゆうまがわ}河川敷で河原にあった岩で殴り殺された事件だ。

Here's my attempt at translating it :

It's even made the news but, yesterday evening, around 7 o'clock, the president Ooguri was found beaten to death with a rock, on the dry bed of the river in the Yuumagawa flood plain, on his way back from tennis school.

There are a few things I'm not sure of :

1- The sentence originally ends with 「事件だ」but I didn't find a way to plug it in my sentence. It looks like a subordinate clause to me but I'm not sure.

2- I put "Yuumagawa flood plain" for 「夕摩川河川敷」assuming Yuumagawa is a name, but I found nothing about it.

Anyway, it simply sounds a little bit lousy to me and I would need a critical view on this attempt.

Thank you for your answers.

• I think one piece of information we might need is, "who is 河原 in this story?" – sazarando Nov 30 '16 at 2:29
  • @chocolate そうなん?「多摩川」のパロディかと思ったんやけど、フィクション用の?回答書き始めたんやけど、いったん中止しとくわ。 – l'électeur Nov 30 '16 at 2:32
    "who is 河原 in this story?" <- すみません、意味が分からないんですが、文字通りに解釈していいんでしょうか。 – Chocolate Nov 30 '16 at 2:38
  • @l'électeur ごめん、読み間違った! 「 摩川」 じゃなくて「 摩川」なのね・・ 中止せんといてんか~ – Chocolate Nov 30 '16 at 2:47
  • Also, 河川敷 doesn't really mean "dry river bed" the way we would think about it in English. It's a raised and flattened riverbank like you can see here: google.co.jp/… – sazarando Nov 30 '16 at 5:05
  1. I think this phrase "it is the case that" may be placed before "yesterday evening" like "it is the case that yesterday evening, around 7 o'clock, the president Ooguri was found".

2. It may be a imaginary river, though 多摩川{たまがわ} is a real river in Tokyo.

It is already broadcast in news, but around 7 o’clock last night, there was an incident wherein the committee chairman Mr. oguri was found beaten and killed by a rock that was on the riverbank at Yumagawa on his way back to the tennis school.??

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.