From #27 of 日本語能力試験3級の模擬試験 -文法1- (http://jlpt.u-biq.org/3g1.html)

Question: よやく(  )が わかりません。

A) かた  B) のかた   C) しかた   D) のしかた

Why is the answer D?

...That lack of kanji confused me. I was sure よやく was a typo for ようやく and none of the given choices made any sense to me. – oals Nov 29 '16 at 7:18
  • @oals me too lols – ishikun Nov 29 '16 at 17:31

「よやく(  )が わかりません。」

A) かた  B) のかた   C) しかた   D) のしかた

So, the finished sentence should clearly mean:

"I do not know how to make a reservation/appointment."

To say "how to + (verb) + (object)", we use:

「Object + + Verb in 連用形{れんようけい} (continuative form) + 方{かた}」

Among the four choices given, only D) のしかた fits this form. 「し」 is the 連用形 of the verb「する」.

「よやくする」 = "to make a reservation/appointment" The 「を」 changes to 「の」 in the "how to ~~" form.

B) のかた does not have the verb 「し」.

C) しかた does not have 「の」.

A) かた is just out of the question. It has neither 「の」 nor 「し」.

Other examples:

「ラーメン食{た}べ方」"how to eat ramen" 「食べ」 is the 連用形 of「食べる」.

「チーズケーキ作{つく}り方」 "how to make cheesecake" 「作り」 is the 連用形 of 「作る」.

• Isn't 方 here pronounced ほう? I think the かた pronounciation is only used for the formal form of 人. ほう is used in situations like 方がいい, right? – Sweeper Nov 29 '16 at 20:00
  • @Sweeper The 方 in 「連用形verb+方」 is pronounced かた. 方 is read かた in eg やり[方]{かた} (how to do/way of doing), [母方]{ははかた} (mother's side), 山田様[方]{かた} (c/o Mr Yamada), がた in 先生[方]{がた} (teachers), 源氏[方]{がた} (the Genji side), 明け[方]{がた} (toward daybreak), 3割[方]{がた} (about 30%) -- basically "noun (form)+[方]{かた/がた}" – Chocolate Nov 29 '16 at 23:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.