Could someone explain the construction v-ta no? I saw it in the article title

東京などで雪 11月に降ったのは54年前

• I could understand the meaning of the sentence. I wasn't sure why <no> was used there (I wrongly thought it formed a construsction with the verb before it) . Having checked what nominalizers could do it seems it refers to the whole first part of the title <東京などで雪>. Is that correct? – user18849 Nov 27 '16 at 19:05

This の is a nominalizer, but more specifically, this can be understood as a marker that introduces cleft-sentences, which are used to focus some part of the sentence.

• (雪が) 54年前に 11月に 降った。
    Snow fell in November 54 years ago.
  • (雪が) 11月に 降った は 54年前だ。
    It's 54 years ago that snow fell in November. (54年前 is focused)

だ/です at the end is omitted because it's a news title which is expected to be short.

To be clear, this type of の does not have to follow the ta-form of a verb.

• この映画を初めて見ます。
    I see this movie for the first time.
  • この映画を見るは初めてです。
    It's the first time that I see this movie. (初めて is focused)

This の functions as a nominalizer of the sentence

東京などで雪が11月に降った
Snow fell around Tokyo in November

The rest of the title talks about this sentence:

東京などで雪が11月に降ったのは54年前
Snow falling in and around Tokyo in November [was last] 54 years ago

or, more idiomatically,

The last time it snowed in November in and around Tokyo was 54 years ago.

There's not really a special construct going on here, just a sentence modifying a noun, and that noun being replaced by の due to reference locality.

In 「11月に降った[の]{雪}は54前」,「の」is used to refer back to 「雪」from 「東京などで雪」, modified by 「11月に降った」.

As a whole, the headline reads roughly: "Snow in Tokyo and surroundings – First time in 54 years"

(I didn't downvote you, but) I don't think the way you interpret the grammar is correct. I would say it's something like (最後に)東京などで雪(が)11月に降ったのは54年前(だった). – Earthliŋ Nov 27 '16 at 15:38
  • @Earthliŋ Yep, I'd say you're probably right. Fixing. – Williham Totland Nov 27 '16 at 15:46
  • @Earthliŋ Although, if it's the first time in 54 years, it's also technically more than fell in any November in the same period. ;) – Williham Totland Nov 27 '16 at 15:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.