Each time, when I need to translate the word "to describe" or "descrtiption", in sentences like:

"Describe the work position."

or

"The description of the company's present state of affairs."

I get confused. Till now I could not manage to find any better way of translating than using the word 説明する for verb or 説明【せつめい】 for a noun. Last time I also started to use 述べる【のべる】 for the meaning of the verb "to describe". But I am not sure, that it is that very right way...Even maybe being not the worst.

There is no single word that can cover all the meanings of "describe".

• 説明する: To explain something (logically) using many words so that people can understand it.
  • 述べる: Mostly interchangeable with 説明する, but basically it just means "to state". You can say 事件を説明する but not 事件を述べる. Despite its appearance, this is a fairly stiff word, and 述べてください/述べろ would sound like as if I were taking an examination. Unless there is an example sentence and a context, I can't tell whether your use of 述べる is acceptable or not.
  • 表現する, 表す: To express something (aesthetically or figuratively) using a picture, poem, etc. (i.e., "this picture describes the man's internal ...")

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.