On lang-8 I read a message from a Japanese speaker who said that 「今日は」isn't used among family/friends, but mainly for strangers.

To this end I need ask, what is a common way to say "Hello" to family/friends, or at least the Japanese equivalent if they have a different custom in this regard.

In the site below a native Japanese student admits he doesn't greet his family or friends.
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1465002114

But that is not considered good manners. As an adult you are supposed to greet promptly and correctly.
A child may get away with it, but not an adult.

こんにちは is the proper way to greet people.
I don't think there is a good substitute for it.
Any possible substitute will be probably a slang or dialect, which by definition is used by a small group of people and may not be appropriate for certain situations.

If it is a close friend you could maybe say something like "元気?"
I had a co-worker who used to greet people with "おっす".

• "You are REQUIRED to greet everyone" yup, sounds like Japan alright! :D – Tirous Nov 20 '16 at 16:33
    I didn't say you are "required". Nobody is going to arrest for failing to greet people, especially family and friends. But that is not considered good manners, that is all. – hisao m Nov 21 '16 at 5:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.