I think it is safe to assume the speaker is also not the most organised person in this sentence:

「あなた、もう少し計画的に行動した方がいいよ。わたし他人のこと言えないけどさ」
You should behave a little more systematically. I ? can't say this of other people but...

The whole of the second sentence is confusing me a little. Is the highlighted は an emphatic replacement of を?

What is the function of も here? It doesn't seem to work as either 'also' or 'even' to me.

Here's how I parse the sentence you've got:

あなた、もう少し計画的に行動した方がいいよ。

For the first half, I think your translation is decent.

But to do it slightly more literally: = It would be better if your actions were more planned.

したほうがいい → "It would better if" / there are other constructions that express "should" more directly.

計画的 → you've translated this as systematically, but I think in context it makes sense to more directly express "plans"

わたしも他人のことは言えないけどさ」

For the second sentence, I think the basic sentiment is all ぼかし表現 (things to soften the previous sentence).

Going through it piece by piece,

• 私も - I think here the も is because the previous sentence is criticism of the other person, so here the speaker is indicating that they also have will criticize their own self.
  • 他人のこと - I don't think this is "other people" but rather "other people's stuff" / "other people's matters" / "other people's junk"
  • は言えない - I think the reason why there's a は here is that the preceding part of the sentence is the sort of thing that the subject feels is a character flaw they should improve on. While literally "I can't really talk", I think the sense is "I shouldn't really talk" or "it's not my place to talk about "
  • けどさ - I think this けどさ is not a real attempt at conjunction, it's an attempt to soften the sentence

So I put the second half together as "But I am not really someone to talk about other people's issues." (the wording might be too American -- the point being "I've got issues too -- like talking about other people -- so I'm going to shut up now").

Or at least that's my sense. If I'm wrong I hope to learn how to do better by getting comments or corrections.

tl;dr

I think the も is to say sentence 1 criticizes あなた and sentence 2 is criticizing 自分

I think the は marks off what the problem is with the speaker (talking about other people's issues) rather than being something where it would make much sense to view it as a substitute for を or が.

But I take the entire point of the second sentence to be: I just said something sharply critical about you, so now I'm going to try to soften that with a "we all have problems and here's one of mine."

わたし他人のことは言えないけど

To me it feels like:

"I'm no one to point other people's shortcomings either, you know? but..."

What about this:
あなた、もう少し計画的に行動した方がいいよ。わたしもけどさ。
You should behave a little more systematically. And so should I though.

He is criticizing someone for being sloppy, when he himself is sloppy.
That is why he says 他人のことは言えない.
He can't really say this about other people when he himself is sloppy.

So も here means "also".

わたしもけどさ is incorrect. We say わたしもけどさ. – Chocolate Nov 22 '16 at 5:43

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.