I was writing a composition in Japanese, and since I wanted to give reasons I wrote the following:

僕は日本語の会話がまだできないし、友達は英語が上手、日本語を少ししか練習しませんでした。

However, I got corrected like this:

僕は日本語の会話がまだできないし、友達は英語が上手なので、日本語を少ししか練習しませんでした。

I don't understand why I can't use し or why it's better ので in this context. Can anyone explain me the reason?

• I think it should be 友達 英語が上手だし to be a bit more natural. (Or should that be 友達は英語も ?) – oals Nov 18 '16 at 9:24

友達は英語が上手

I'm afraid 「[上手]{じょうず}し」/「[上手]{うま}し」 is incorrect.

I think you could use ~し, ~ので, or ~から here. You could say like this, using the na-adjective [上手]{じょうず}な:

[上手]{じょうず}し、
上手なので、
上手だから、

or, using the i-adjective [上手]{うま}い:

[上手]{うま}し、
上手いので、
上手いから、

「~し」 and 「~から」 would sound more casual than 「~ので」.

上手し is wrong. It must be 上手だし.

According to "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar", page 396, na-adjectives and nouns must be followed by だし (or だったし if it is the past tense).

Examples:
先生だし (noun + だし)
綺麗だし (na-adjective + だし)

Grammatically that is the only mistake.

You teacher used ので probably just to make it clear that it implies a reason or cause.
し, on the other hand, does not imply reason or cause, it is just an emphatic "and".

し does not imply reason or cause, it is just an emphatic "and" <- But デジタル大辞泉 says し can indicate 原因・理由: "し 1⃣[接助]2 前に挙げた事柄を原因・理由として下の事柄に続ける意を表す。から。ので。 「身体はじょうぶですし、もっと働けます」「家も近いんだし、たまには寄れよ」" – Chocolate Nov 18 '16 at 16:07
  • Basically ので indicates the reason, し indicates a reason (non-exhaustive). Since all of these し reasons participate in the causality, you get the "and" meaning. – Amadan Nov 22 '16 at 7:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.