What are the differences between になろうと言った and になると言った ? enter image description here

• is there an image attached to this? I only see a broken image link... – Mark Nov 16 '16 at 0:00
  • Yes, There's a image, my friend. Try to click on this link instead ? i.stack.imgur.com/yPNsU.jpg – Narutokage Nov 16 '16 at 0:06
  • Thanks, it appears the internal network at work is blocking the image... – Mark Nov 16 '16 at 0:40

(お前は私に)「~~ volitional auxiliary う/よう」と言った。
(お前は私に)「~~ plain form of a verb」と言った。

I would normally interpret the former as "You said, 'Let's do ~~'," i.e. "You suggested that we should do ~~," and the latter as "You said, 'I will do ~~'," i.e. "You said that you would do ~~."

So I think 「お前は『人間になる』と言った」 means "You said you would be human," and 「お前は『人間になろう』と言った」 would be interpreted as "You suggested that we should become human."

Examples:

• 彼は(私に)東京に行こうと言った。 He suggested we go to Tokyo.
  • 彼は(私に)東京に行と言った。 He told me that he was going to Tokyo.
| improve this answer | |

The first expresses intent to try '~ said s/he will try become ~'. The second is '~ said it will become ~'

| improve this answer | |
  • I have no idea who the hell has thumbed down yours (despite of my thumb up ). Your answer is a good answer. I wish I could accept it also. – Narutokage Nov 16 '16 at 0:45
  • meh, it happens. Its a cut-throat world out here where you take your time to offer free help to others in need :) – Mark Nov 16 '16 at 1:06
  • But that is not big deal. I'm going to thumb up your other questions. I Just want say thank. – Narutokage Nov 17 '16 at 1:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.