There is a word イレーザー, which means 'eraser'. I suspect this comes from the English word eraser. But the "s" sound in eraser is not voiced in American English, and a closer approximation in kana will be イレーサー. How did it become voiced as イレーザー?

Edit: After fefe's answer, it turned out I was wrong in writing that "s" is not voiced in English. It turned out to be true for American English.

  • 1
    It can be voiced according to thefreedictionary
    – fefe
    Dec 27 '11 at 2:27
  • According to some paper dictionary I have, it is a British/American difference.
    – fefe
    Dec 27 '11 at 3:16

According to Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, the 's' is voiced in British English, and unvoiced in American English.

So イレーザー may come from the British reading.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy