oshirase [今日は日本の授業がありません 私の女の子が熱が痛いですから... 学生たちのほかに調べてくださいね...お願いします...明日宿題は学校の後でSMP Regularの事務所でMr.Jayに取ってください. 月曜日Mr.Jayに出してください.] と私の先生が書いたのです. It turns out that in "学生たちのほかに調べてください", my teacher wanted to say "please tell the other students". So it should be 教える not 調べる. However this context is only dedicated to my initial question. What is the meaning of 'noun + の + ほか + に'? Please refrain from over focusing the mistakes here(but if you did, I appreciate it).

I can't understand What 学生たちのほかに調べてくださいね means. You should ask your teacher this meaning. – Yuuichi Tam Nov 12 '16 at 4:25
    今日は日本の授業がありません。→ 日本語の授業がありません。 – Heav1est Nov 12 '16 at 4:40
    「Mr.Jayに取ってください」 looks incorrect, too... – Chocolate Nov 12 '16 at 4:57
    @Dekiru Maybe you teacher meant to type/say しゃべる and not 調{しら}べる which can sound quit similar (at least to me). As for you question ほか simply means other. The の before it is needed if what precedes it is a noun, the に is just the particle に , here marking who is being/or should be talked to. ほかに as an adverb can also mean in addition to or besides, but I don't see that being correct here. 学生たちのほか: the other students. – Christer Nov 12 '16 at 11:19
    "please tell the other students" <- I think your teacher meant to say ほかの学生たちに知らせてください。 (しらる, not しらる.) "To the other students" should be ほかの学生たちに, not 学生たちのほかに. – Chocolate Nov 12 '16 at 13:06

"please tell the other students" is translated as 他の生徒に伝えてください.

~の他に means "besides", "in addition to". For example, この本の他に、好きな本はありますか?( Are there your favorite books besides this book), 私の他に好きな人はいるの?(Do you have special someone besides me?).

And even if it is 学生たちの他に伝えてください, I feel it is a bit unnatural.

• "I feel it is unnatural" --> how so? Which grammatical part seems off or is it grammatically correct? Can I change the に with を? – Dekiru Nov 12 '16 at 12:16
  • 学生たちの他を伝えてください doesn't make sense. I don't know whether it is grammatically correct or not but we say 他の生徒に伝えてください. And 他の生徒 means "other students", 生徒の他に means "besides students". – Yuuichi Tam Nov 12 '16 at 12:37
  • So saying 他のnoun means other noun(s) while nounの他に means beside noun(s)? – Dekiru Nov 12 '16 at 12:52
  • Yes, I think so. – Yuuichi Tam Nov 12 '16 at 12:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.