I saw some sentences like this, but I couldn't understand them. What do they mean?

砂糖入りのお茶。

胡椒付きのサラダ。

1. 砂糖[入り]{いり}のお茶 = 砂糖が入っているお茶
  2. 胡椒付きのサラダ = 胡椒が付いているサラダ

入り and 付き are suffixes derived from the verbs 入る and 付く. The forms 入り and 付き are the 連用形 renyōkei (masu-stem) of the verbs and behave much like nouns. This is why you see that 砂糖入り modifies お茶, a noun, with の.

For translation you could go for

1. tea containing sugar
  2. salad with pepper

Many verbs do this, by the way. For example the suffix ~生まれ attaches to places and means "born in", e.g.

東京生まれの人
a person born in Tokyo

アメリカ生まれの日本人
a Japanese born in America

• Could I write 砂糖付きのお茶 and 胡椒入りのサラダ? – Dav7n Nov 11 '16 at 19:42
    ~付き means "[comes] with", so reading 砂糖付きのお茶 I'd say that it's "tea that comes with a packet/cube/... of sugar". Having it dissolved in the tea, you can't really use ~付き any more. But 胡椒入りのサラダ seems perfectly possible, although ~入り suggests the pepper is really in the salad (presumably in the dressing), even though you might not be able to see it. – Earthliŋ Nov 11 '16 at 20:51
    @Dav7n Technically, you could, but notice the difference in nuances. ~入り infers something has already been added/mixed in, was ~付き is more like "comes with on the side". So 砂糖付きのお茶 would sound more like "tea with a side of sugar" as opposed to "sweetened tea". – Jimmy Nov 11 '16 at 20:53
  • @Dav7n I don't think I'd expect to hear much 胡椒入りのサラダ unless we're talking about allergy (, or, you really use pepper as a material, not seasoning). – broccoli forest Nov 12 '16 at 15:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.