oshirase

今日は日本の授業がありません

私の女の子が熱が痛いですから... 学生たちのほかに調べてくださいね...お願いします...明日宿題は学校の後でSMP Regularの事務所でMr.Jayに取ってください. 月曜日Mr.Jayに出してください.

後で and 他に are adverbs in my dictionary. My teacher sent me this message which contain phrases of "noun + の + adverbs". In this case does the の still mean "of"? Btw the part where she told me that her daughter is sick seems wrong. 熱が痛い??! Is it not 熱があります?! And I don't understand the 学生たちのほかに調べてくださいね part.

• 「学生達のほかに調べてください」 doesn't make much sense... What's the context? (「学校の後」「学生達のほか」 are "noun + の + noun", btw.) – Chocolate Nov 10 '16 at 12:44
    Even with the context, 学生たちのほかに調べてください makes little sense. I am afraid to say this but the whole passage sounds quite awkward with several grammar errors such as 日本の授業→日本語の授業、私の女の子→娘、熱が痛い→熱がある・熱が高い・頭が痛い、Mr.Jayに取ってください→Mr.J‌​ayに/からもらってください・Mr.Ja‌​yから受け取ってください – Chocolate Nov 12 '16 at 5:18
    I agree, thankyou for pointing it out. – Dekiru Nov 12 '16 at 10:07
  • Is this your teachre's e-mail message in Japanese? The problem is your Japanese teacher is not qualified teacher at all! – Sonny365 TANAKA Feb 10 '17 at 12:21

"学校の後で" is not as "noun+の+adverb". It is "noun+の+noun" forming an adverb clause.

"学生達のほかに調べてください" is indeed a bit odd sentence, because "学生たちのほかに" is not an adverb clause and needs a noun or noun clause to follow. My guess is that that is omitted here. It could be something like "学生たちのほかに(知人を)調べてください".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.