In a manga, while a guy was sleeping, someone used a marker to write on him. He wrote on his forehead and 空回り人生 on his chest. Considering it was a joke, can be offensive or funny in some way? I think that 空回り人生 could mean something like loser, but I don't understand why he wrote . It is neither a reference to the personality of the character nor to the plot of the manga.

I know cow can be an insult in English, but what about Japanese?

You can see the page in question here.

• Can you provide some context? Did this guy go to bed right after eating, maybe? – Chocolate Nov 7 '16 at 4:31
  • Unfortunately there isn't context because is one of a series of 1コマ drawings at the end of the manga. – Marco Nov 14 '16 at 0:07

I think it depends on the context. But maybe...

In キン肉マン(kin-niku-man), an old famous manga, many heroes have a kanji on their forehead. Be affected by this manga, writing a kanji on the sleeper's forehead became a common prank in Japan. Typically, the kanji is [肉]{にく}(meats), because this kanji is on the main hero's forehead.

Next, there is a proverb 「[食]{た}べてすぐ[寝]{ね}ると[牛]{うし}になる(If you go to bed as soon as eating, you'll become a cow.)」 in Japan.

So I guess:

Why a kanji is written on the sleeper's forehead? --> Because it's a common prank with the sleeper in Japan, as drawing eyes on the eyelids.

Why the kanji is 牛? --> Because he is sleeping (if he went to bed just after eating).

Of course, if a cow has a special meaning in the manga, the kanji 牛 may also has a different meaning from my estimate.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.