What does もっとも mean in the following sentences?

日本人はしょうゆの味が好きです。もっともそうでない人もいますが。

この宝くじを買うと一万ドル当たりますよ。もっとも運がよければの話ですが。

The 「もっとも(~~が。)」 means 「とは言え」「そうは言うものの」「ただし」, "however" "although" "for all that," "provided that ~~" or "only ~~", and is often followed by 「~~が。」, as in the formula 「Sentence. + もっとも + Sentence + が.」

It's 2⃣接続詞 (conjunction) in デジタル大辞泉:

[接]前の事柄を肯定しつつ、例外あるいは一部相反する内容を補足するときに用いる。とはいうものの。なるほどそうだが。ただし。「旅行にはみんな参加する。もっとも行かない人も二、三いるが」

So your sentences would translate to something like:

• 日本人はしょうゆの味が好きです。もっともそうでない人もいます
    Japanese people are fond of the taste of soy sauce, although there also are people who aren't.
  • この宝くじを買うと一万ドル当たりますよ。もっとも運がよければの話です
    Buy this lottery ticket and you'll win 10,000 dollars -- only if [provided that] you're lucky.

Some more examples*:

• 彼は力が強い、もっとも体も大きいがね。
    He is strong, but then he is big, too.
  • 女にはこの仕事はできない、もっとも例外はあるが。
    Women cannot do this job, although there are some exceptions.
  • 彼はよく人と約束する。もっとも履行した例はないが。
    He makes promises, only [though] he never keeps them.
  • 彼女は英語を話すのがへただ。もっとも、日本語で話すのもそううまくないが。
    She speaks English very poorly. She doesn't speak Japanese so well either, though.

* Examples taken from New Japanese-English Dictionary (Kenkyusha) and Progressive Japanese-English Dictionary (Shogakukan)

This もっとも is not 最も but 尤も (although both are cognates). You can replace it by 当然 in both of your example sentences.

• @user326441 If you want more about it here is its entry: dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/219472/meaning/m0u/… (the meaning used here is labeled "black-boxed 2") – 永劫回帰 Nov 6 '16 at 22:08
  • もっとも in the sense of 当然 is a na-adjective and not a conjunction, and it's used like 「~~(する)のももっともだ」, no? – Chocolate Nov 6 '16 at 22:10
  • I don't know I never seen it used like that (lack of exposure). When I said, you can replace it with 当然 I had the word "indeed" in my mind. 当然 (little pause) そうでない人もいますが。(Indeed, there is also people who don't) – 永劫回帰 Nov 6 '16 at 22:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.