From NHK Easy Japanese News:

「民主主義{みんしゅしゅぎ}は、一度{いちど}運動{うんどう}を止{と}めると、使{つか}わない筋肉{きんにく}のように弱{よわ}くなってしまうので、運動{うんどう}を続{つづ}けなければなりません」と言{い}いました。

If I translate literally:

"About democracy, if stop exercising once, becomes frail like unused muscle therefore, if don't continue exercising don't become," she said.

The last part, logically, seems to be backwards. I would expect either of

~運動を続けなかればなります。

~運動を続ければなりません。

Is the original sentence correct and so what is its meaning and why?

I am familiar with "must do" expressions using two potential negative forms like:

~なければいけません

But here the ending verb is simply なりません, not a potential form. Would this also express "must do"?

From a purely logical perspective, ~なければなります and ~ればなりません may look like sound forms meaning "must not do ~" (working backward from ~なければならない (= "mustn't not do ~")), but they are highly unidiomatic. Use ~てはなりません/てはいけません for the negative directive. Likewise avoid ~なければなれません. (Use ~なければなりません or ~なければいけません for "must do") – goldbrick Nov 6 '16 at 17:43

Yes, ~なければなりません also means the same as ~なければいけません. These two can be regarded as fixed phrases.

Therefore 運動を続けなければなりません means "they must continue the campaign."

It's enough if you understand this as a fixed phrase, but this can also be explained in a literal way:

The verb なる can mean "to succeed" or "to complete" as described in jisho.org and ~なければ means "if one doesn't ~".

So ~なければなりません can be interpreted as "if one doesn't ~, it's not ok".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.